Search This Blog

Friday, August 22, 2014

Small Businesses Sampler Review



Small Businesses Sampler Review


·         Small Business Sampler Included:

o   Scentcetera

-        Lemon Pound Cake Sample


o   Sweet Smells and Trinkets

-        Summer Picnic Sample


o   Scensei: Master of Scents

-        Tropical Cocktail Sample


o   Foxtrot Soaps

-        Ripe Raspberry Sample


o   Night Owl Candle Co.

-        Raspberry Coconut Cupcake Sample


o   Ring of Fire Candles

-        Bomb Pop Scent Shot


o   Starlit Candle Company

-        Rainbow Orange Sherbet Sample


o   Voodoo Doll Soapworks

-        Princess Sample


o   The Lady Sailor

-        U.S.S Melon Sample


o   Southern Belle Gems & Smells

-        Tan Lines Sample


o   Arianna’s Bath and Candles

-        One Wax Chunk Sample of Raspberry Lemonade

-        One Chapstick


o   Lagniappe Candle Company

-        Island Girl Sample


o   Scarlet Raine

-        Tropical Summer Sample


o   Rocket’s Custom Melts

-        Carnival Sweets and Treats Sample


o   Bair Wax

-        Squeezed Sample
 




·         Initial Impression

o   A lot of these scents were just not for me. Regardless, I was curious about some of these companies. Most of the disliked scents contained sour tropical fruits or grapefruit, while other disliked scents just smelled awful.



·         Liked Scents Based Off of Cold Smell

o   Scensei: Master of Scents – Tropical Cocktail

o   Night Owl Candle Co. – Raspberry Coconut Cupcake

o   Starlit Candle Company – Rainbow Orange Sherbet

o   Ring of Fire Candles – Bomb Pop

o   Scentcetera – Lemon Pound Cake

o   Southern Belle Gems & Smells Southern Belle Gems & Smells – Tan Lines

o   Bair Wax - Squeezed



·         Scents for RAOK/Destash Based Off of Cold Smell

o   Sweet Smells and Trinkets – Summer Picnic

o   Lagniappe Candle Company – Island Girl

o   Scarlet Raine – Tropical Summer

o   Rocket’s Custom Melts – Carnival Sweets and Treats

o   Arianna’s Bath and Candles – Raspberry Lemonade



·         Melting Review of Liked Scents

o   Scentcetera – Lemon Pound Cake

-        This is a strong lemon scent. I don’t really smell much of the pound cake. This scent was the first one that caught my attention for several reasons. One such reason was the adorable jar it came in. The other reason it caught my attention was because it had a strong lemon cold smell and I love lemon scents. Melting this emitted a very strong sweet lemon scent.

-        Throw Rating = 2

-        I loved it! I love lemon scents, and this one did not disappoint.



o   Scensei: Master of Scents – Tropical Cocktail

-        The cold smell of this clamshell was a light tropical sent. It was very pleasing. I didn’t smell a thing in the warmer.

-        Throw = Barely a 1

-        No, I did not like this vendor.



o   Night Owl Candle Co. – Raspberry Coconut Cupcake

-        The cold scent was a very creamy coconut scent with no detectable raspberry. The warmed scent was just a light creamy scent that was barely noticeable.

-        Throw = Barely a 1

-        I didn’t really like this vendor. The throw was non existant and it didn’t smell like what it was supposed to smell like



o   Starlit Candle Company – Rainbow Orange Sherbet

-        Check back later!


o   Ring of Fire Candles – Bomb Pop

-        Cold this smelled like a fruity popsicle. It was probably my second favorite cold scent of the box. The scent shot fell apart due to the layered technique that was used for this scent.

-        Throw = 1

-        I was on the fence about this one. I really loved the combination of scents they used to achieve a great smell. I couldn’t smell the wax at all until I walked out of the room and back in. I am undecided about this vendor.



o   Southern Belle Gems & Smells Southern Belle Gems & Smells – Tan Lines

-        The cold smell was a very strong tropical smell that definitely had some grapefruit. Normally I wouldn’t burn this scent, but I wanted to see the throw from this vendor.

-        Throw = A weak 1

-        I did not really like this vendor’s wax, the throw was really weak.



o   Bair Wax – Squeezed

-        The cold smell was a strong tropical scent. Almost immediately as the wax was placed in a hot dish, it started to throw. I didn’t really like the cold smell, but the warmed smell was actually really pleasant. The cold smell was very similar, it just came across much nicer warmed. I still wasn’t crazy about the grapefruit aspect of the scent.

-        Throw = a strong 1

-        I think this vendor has some great potential. I would like to try some of the other scents that would probably appeal more to my personal tastes.





·         Soap Review

o   The Lady Sailor - U.S.S Melon

-        I wasn’t too impressed with this soap. I was wondering if I accidently tried to wash myself with a wax tart. There were very little bubbles or lather created with this soap.


o   Voodoo Doll Soapworks – Princess

-        This cold soap was absolutely beautiful! I used it in the shower, and I have to say I did like it a lot. I hope to purchase more from this vendor in the future.


o   Foxtrot Soaps – Ripe Raspberry

-        The soap is beautiful. Unfortunately beauty only does so much for soap. Unlike the name, this soap’s cold smell closely resembled that of oatmeal based soap. Hoping this may change once it is used. The soap never did get stronger. My biggest quam with the soap was the amount of dye used and the fact it seemed to stick to my skin. The dye should never have to be scrubbed off my skin as it was with this vendor’s soap.



·         Overall Liked Vendors (Expect Reviews on these vendors)

o   Scentcetera

o   Starlight

o   Sweet Smells and Trinkets (despite not liking the sample)

o   Voodoo Doll Soapworks

o   Starlite Candle Company (See Final Thought)

o   Bair Wax



·         Overall Disliked Vendors

o   The Lady Sailor

o   Lagniappe Candle Company (See Final Thought for Comment)

o   Rocket Melts (See Final Thought for Comment)

o   Scenscei

o   Southern Belle Gems & Smells

o   Night Owl Candle Company

o   Foxtrot Soaps



·         Final Thought

o   Just because I didn’t love the scent, doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like the vendor. I know for a fact that I love Sweet Smells and Trinkets, but that scent was just not for me.

o   Despite the large amount of stuff I did not like, I believe these small business samplers are a wonderful idea to try different products. I do believe the Facebook page plans on doing more small vendor samplers in the future. I highly recommend purchasing one if you are able.

o   Although I disliked the smell from Lagniappe Candle Company, it was a strong cold smell. Normally I would try vendor with such a strong cold smell. I personally will never purchase from this vendor. The owner of the company is under 18. Unless she is emancipated, she is not old enough to have a PayPal account. Somehow, they seem to get around these pesky details. The mother of the minor believes this negates them from any liability. This essentially means that if you are unhappy with your order…tough shit.  Obviously, I do not approve of these types of business practices and will never order from this company.

o   I couldn’t even consider melting the Rocket Melts. It had a very strong chemical smell on cold sniff. This concerns me. Although I try not to judge scents too much by their cold smell; I can’t imagine this strong chemical smell would dissipate while melting.

o   On the fence with my opinion on Ring of Fire Candles. Due to multiple good reviews of this vendor, I have decided to further review this vendor. I have also decided to rereview Southern Belle Gems & Smells in the further due to multiple good reviews on this vendor's behalf.
o   I did not want to delay the review for 3 months to allow the Starlite scent shot to cure. Technically, it doesn’t require that long. I think her wax throws strongest with 3 month cure time. I will update the post when I have melted that scent shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment